Carrie is terrible and yet Samantha is worse

One of my favorite pastimes for when I'm supposed to be doing something productive and/or thinking about my emotions in order to move forward with my life is to watch out-dated ephemeral media that has had an outsize impact on popular culture. I finished Friends during 2016, and started in on Sex and the City in 2017. I'm still watching through Sex and the City. Most of the younger people I've discussed it with agree that SATC is an awful show, and yet it is held in extremely high esteem by people older than us (~30+).

Here's the thing: Carrie is an awful character. She is WHINY. She writes very poorly; we have to listen to her columns as the voice over each episode. I'm not claiming to be the best at writing myself, but I'm baffled that she manages to make a rather comfortable living peddling her cliches to New York circa 2002.

Here's the other thing: Samantha is somehow worse. She is utterly self-absorbed and simultaneously unaware of her feelings. Not only does she utterly debase herself in every possible way, having sex with everyone she comes across (counts here), she doesn't practice any form of self-examination that penetrates deeper than her skin. (She does, however, practice skin-level self-examination religiously.)

I believe in finishing what I've started, and so I am going to watch through every instance of their poorly considered decisions and inaccurate views on men and what makes humans happy in the world. However, I reserve the right to savage their life decisions in any and every conversation I have on the subject, and I'm also going to tweet relentlessly about it.




Comments