Thanksgiving IS! a holiday!

I will consider defending this at length in approximately six months. Here's the bullet point summary, which I will assert without proof:
  • Thanksgiving has an element of largesse and welcome as the essential character of the celebration that is absent from other 'secular', legislated holidays, like Veteran's Day. 
  • Largesse (and sacrifice) is a necessary element of any festival.
  • Thanksgiving has its roots in traditions of giving thanks for the harvest in the fall which is present in every culture, including the English culture from which the Pilgrims came.
  • This 'giving thanks' obviously contains within it a characteristic of presenting thanks to God.
  • Other cultures, coming to the United States, also brought with them traditions of fall harvest celebrations.
  • The role that legislation played in the establishment of American Thanksgiving was to standardize the date of the celebration, not to found the celebration.
  • Thanksgiving is perhaps the single true festival that has its origin in American civil (Protestant, Christian) religion. 
  • Thanksgiving, though, has a character which could easily take 
Advent update:
  • Six days in.
  • FAILURES: 
    • So far, no advent candles for my sad empty wreath.
  •  SUCCESSES:
    • I've gone to mass four out of six days so far.
    • We've got a decorated tree (I know this is controversial but whatever). In this house we decorate for Christmas.
    • I gave money to a great cause (https://theharmoniumproject.org/about/) and got out money to give to my parish church. (I think it's important to both continue to support the local parish community I'm involved in AND do extra giving during penitential seasons).
    • We currently have two!! Advent calendars going (one counting down, one counting up). We also have three different nativities scenes. 
    • I've been drinking black tea, black coffee, and haven't eaten meat. 

Comments