The Lover Measures the Beloved

This is a sketchy and ill-formed intuition, but I've been listening to the songs:

Lift/Love: "Check Yourself"

//It's been a long, long time
Since you said you know me.
You don't know me at all.
You say you know my heart.
You can't get inside my head.
You think you know me.
You don't know me at all//

and "Spooky Action From A Distance"

//What would my position be
if you didn't give me one?

But how would I know
what I'm like all alone?
You're always measuring me.
Tell me something,
tell me true:
Scientist, what am I to you?//

The album Lift/Love follows a relationship as the beloved progresses from resistance to being known to opening up to the lover's sight despite the fear of being seen. I also think of this line from Burlap to Cashmere "Don't Forget to Write":

//Your eyes redeem my foolish ways and you are mine//

This is a placeholder blog post for thoughts (to come?)

Comments