Fasting Meal 2.26.20 - Ash Wednesday

I recommend having food stocked up before the fast starts, especially on a day when fasting and not only abstaining from meat.

I was thinking today about a restaurant or private club that would be open for dinner during fasting days, and cheap--a few dollars a bowl of soup--in exchange for help serving & cleaning.

Today for dinner I reheated frozen spinach soup which I had made several weeks ago. (Recipe below). I also made a hard boiled egg and basmati rice, which I put in with the soup. I think the soup was better with toasty garlic bread, as the recipe suggests, but rice is easier than making really good garlic bread. I made the soup vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken. If you're doing this, I suggest possibly adding more spices and more parmesan.

Vegetarian Creamed Spinach Soup 
lightly adapted from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites by Br. Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette

1 pkg frozen spinach
1 onion, sliced
4 tbsp olive oil
7 cups chicken stock
3 eggs
6 tbsp grated Parmesan (another hard cheese would probably work, as long as it's salty)
salt, pepper, nutmeg (I used a good amount of nutmeg, probably a half a tablespoon of it. The nutmeg is really important, don't recommend leaving it out.)
2 garlic cloves, minced (you can also add more garlic to the soup itself)

Chop onion.
Add olive oil to the pot, fry onion and then add frozen spinach block & a little liquid (very little, maybe a tablespoon). Cook 3 min.
Add the remaining liquid and cook over LOW heat 30 minutes.
Beat eggs, parmesan in a bowl, add salt, nutmeg, pepper.
Blend soup with immersion blender (you could do this with a blender but they are so messy).
Return to pot, add egg mix and stir until blended.
Reheat, 5-8 minutes over low heat.

Toast bread, rub with garlic.

Eat!!! Consider grating more parmesan on top. The recipe suggests this is 6 servings, I'm not sure I believe that, it's probably 4-5 depending on who's eating it. It does not reheat very well so you may want to eat it immediately or half the recipe. I don't think it would do it any harm to use 2 eggs in a half recipe. I also added a little milk to use it up, didn't hurt the soup on the first go round but probably wasn't great for its ability to be reheated.

Comments